In Which I am Neither Vicious nor a Sucker

Dec 07 2010 Published by under [Education&Careers], [Etc]

Scene 1:

Candid Engineer is hard at work surfing the internet. An email appears in her inbox:

Dear CE,

I really absolutely must get Experiments X and Y done this week. However, I cannot do them because I am swamped with final exams & other very, very serious obligations. I was wondering if you could take 3-4 days of your time this week and do my experiments for me.

Best regards,
Hard-Working but Clueless Grad Student

Ahahaha!!! Good one, really. Uhh, let me check my schedule... uhh... hmm, no fucking way.

Scene 2:

Supervisor: So, are you sure you want to be a professor?
CE: No, I'm not sure, but I think I'd be good at it & I don't know anything else I'd be as good at.
Supervisor: You would be great in a company- large, medium, or start-up.
CE: Oh no, are you turning this into a patronizing you'd-be-good-at-anything lovefest?
Supervisor: No, I'm not. You'd be a terrible VC. Absolutely terrible. You're not vicious enough.

Conclusion?

I'm not too mean, I'm not too nice
Don't give me your mangoes to slice & dice
This princess postdoc has her price.

10 responses so far

• chall says:

I'm trying not to die laughing. "Take 3-4 DAYS?! to help me" .... yeah. sure. ehh... well... hm... (this said, I'd probably help them, but not whole days,.. that's just a bit too much to ask me thinks...)

As for the second part; what's VC? I only think abuot the 70ies and somehow I don't think supervisor meant _that type of VC_?

• scicurious says:

"Iโ€™m not too mean, Iโ€™m not too nice
    Donโ€™t give me your mangoes to slice & dice
    This princess postdoc has her price."

THIS. I love it. I'm putting it on my office door.

• tideliar says:

Excellent post. Poor clueless grad student. And lolz from the PI. A good week then , so far!

• Dr Becca says:

Not too mean and not too nice, but JUST the right amount of rhyme-y! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Bashir says:

I'd love to laugh at that poor graduate student. But I remember asking an equally clueless question way back when. Makes me cringe to even think about it.

• D. C. Sessions says:

At least around here, "VC" means "vulture capitalist."

• FrauTech says:

Your supervisor's conversation seemed more about the practicality of getting a job as a professor these days and not limiting your options. Maybe that's just the cynic in me.

• Yes, I'm sorry Chall- VC stands for Venture Capitalist.

• chall says:

ahhh... CE. Thanks for the explanation. Clearly I haven't spent enough time around cooperate people ๐Ÿ˜‰ complete opposite of the thing I was thinking about..... obviously.... ^^

• Balancing Act says:

In the past couple months, I feel like I've had a similar conversation with PIs about what I want to do. I want to be a professor at a research university. But I always get the - you should really decide if you want to pursue the research university professor career path or if you want to do a primarily undergraduate professorship. Um, I've decided. I don't need to further decide unless you want me to change my mind for some reason that you should probably explain.

Argh!